Exchange to the Schools of Visual Arts

Guidelines for prospective exchange students at the Schools of Visual Arts

Who can apply to become exchange or guest students?

Students who are enrolled at an art academy, art school or similar institution of education offering fine art classes in Denmark or abroad, and who have completed at least two years of study there, may apply to be accepted as exchange or guest students at the Schools of Visual Arts.
Students who do not meet these conditions must apply for admission to the BFA study programme just like all other prospective students.

We accept exchange students and guest students

Exchange students are students who are funded by the Erasmus or KUNO schemes.  Exchange agreements can be entered into with any institution that takes part in the Eramus or KUNO scheme.

Guest students come from institutions with which the Schools of Visual Arts has special individual agreements, e.g. Parsons New School in New York, CAFA in China, The Danish National School of Performing Arts – and the other two academies in Denmark, the Funen Academy and the Jutland Academy.
Exchange and guest students must still be students while studying at the Schools of Visual Arts, meaning that they must not have graduated from their own academy or school prior to the intended exchange study period at the Schools of Visual Arts.

Also, exchange students cannot extend their exchange period beyond the date of their graduation from their home academy/school.

The processing time for applications for exchange is typically four weeks. All applications are processed jointly after the deadline for submitting applications has expired. The Board of Study (Studienævnet) at the Schools of Visual Arts will assess the applications based on the documentation submitted and the overall balance between incoming and outgoing students.

Exchange period

Exchange students can apply to study at the Schools of Visual Arts for up to one full academic year. Exchange students are expected to follow the two-semester structure used at the Schools of Visual Arts to the greatest extent possible.

When should you apply?

Exchange and guest students are accepted twice a year. The application deadlines are:

  • 1 May for applications to enrol for the autumn semester or a full academic year
  • 1 November for applications to enrol for the spring semester

The autumn semester runs from 1 October to 31 January the following year. The spring semester runs from 1 February to 30 June.


You can apply to enrol as an exchange or guest students in the weeks prior to the application deadlines stated above. First you must sign up as an applicant in our online application system. Once you have signed up as an applicant, you will receive an email with instructions on how to submit examples of your work electronically along with the other information and documentation required.

The Schools of Visual Arts use Varbi as application portal. It will be possible to apply for student exchange from October 1st on

As a prospective applicant you must submit the following documentation: 

  • Student registration form, signed and completed
  • a number of works for assessment as digital images/files
  • a description of your artistic practice (artist statement) in English (one page or less)
  • CV
  • Learning agreement / KUNO-form (only if you apply to become an ERASMUS or KUNO exchange student)
  • Picture of your passport

Read more about the guidelines for electronic submission of works here. (Same guidelines as to our MFA candidates)

If you find it important for your work, it may be relevant to label it as either documentation or a work.

You are welcome to upload a short description for each work at maximum 150 words (not required).

Please find  more relevant information at our fact sheet for study exchange.

ECTS credits

Applicants should be aware that the Schools of Visual Arts award 30 ECTS credits for one semester’s study. The 30 ECTS credits are earned for the entire semester as a whole; they are not portioned out among separate activities or courses.

English language requirements

Applicants must have sufficient fluency in English to communicate with professors, assistant professors and fellow students with ease, but there are no formal requirements for specific exam scores.

Availability at specific schools

Potential exchange and guest students can apply to study at a specific School of Visual Arts. However, schools may not have any openings available. In such cases exchange and guest students will be transferred to another school where vacant seats are available after 15 June.

Fees, living costs, grants, etc.

As an exchange or guest student, you must pay the costs of art materials and all living costs (including accommodation) yourself.

The Schools of Visual Arts offer no grants, scholarships or student housing, and they cannot assist exchange and guest students on matters of accommodation, personal finances and similar issues.

This means that as an exchange or guest student, you are responsible for ensuring that you have sufficient funds for your stay in Copenhagen before you leave your own country.

Tuition fee – Only for students who are NOT citizens of EU or EEA countries

The Schools of Visual Arts are legally obliged (by Order no. 66 of 14 January 2016) to charge tuition fees from international students who are not citizens of the EU or EEA.

The study fee is DKK 120,000 for a full year of study, corresponding to DKK 60,000 for the autumn semester (1 October to 31 January) and DKK 60,000 for the spring semester (1 February – 30 June).

Tuition fees must be paid before the semester begins. Tuition fees for a full year can be split into two payments, one for each term. Payment is done as a bank transfer to the Schools of Visual Arts’ bank account.

The Schools of Visual Arts cannot offer subsidies or grants towards covering these tuition fees.


The Schools of Visual Arts are members of KUNO; a Nordic-Baltic association of institutes of fine art higher education. For more information about the KUNO scheme, please contact your home institution or go to KUNO's website.


Please contact your home institution (i.e. your own academy/school) for more information about the Erasmus scheme.